The NC Outdoors - Hunting Talk Forum for NC

Welcome to the The NC Outdoors - Hunting Talk Forum for NC forums.

The NC Outdoors is a talk forum and trading post for the outdoor sports in North Carolina. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please ,join out community today by clicking register on the left end of the black bar below. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The NC Outdoors - Hunting Talk Forum for NC > Small Game and Fishing Forums > All things waterfowl
Register FAQ Forum Home Members List Calendar Photo Albums Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Statistics

All things waterfowl Talk about everything duck and goose related

» Recent Threads
Woodies!
Last post by encshooter
12-19-2014 11:05 PM
Late Season...
Last post by encshooter
12-19-2014 05:19 PM
Lesson learned
Last post by JoeMorek
12-15-2014 11:10 AM
Lucky I guess
Last post by Sakoluvr
12-11-2014 12:57 PM
Darn close
Last post by Reel Sharp
12-08-2014 05:34 PM
Getting in...
Last post by encshooter
12-05-2014 10:43 PM
Payoff!
Last post by Greeneyed Pickle
12-03-2014 11:59 PM
Mojo decoy
Last post by Johnnie
11-28-2014 03:40 PM
I don't...
Last post by encshooter
11-24-2014 05:46 PM
Frustrating...
Last post by Reel Sharp
11-24-2014 11:33 AM

Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default 2011-2012 Waterfowl Season Dates

The N.C Wildlife Resources Commission has set season dates, bag limits and applicable regulations for the 2011-12 seasons.

Of special note this year is the addition of a second Youth Waterfowl Day. In recent years, the Commission has chosen the Saturday after the end of the duck season as the Youth Waterfowl Day. However, with recent changes to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service guidelines, a second Youth Waterfowl Day will be offered. Youth Waterfowl Days this season will be Dec. 10, 2011 and Feb. 4, 2012.

Working within mandatory frameworks established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Commission set the following regulations:

BAG LIMITS

a) Conventional bag: 6 ducks with no more than 4 scoters, 4 mallards with no more than 2 hen mallards, 3 wood ducks, 2 redheads, 2 scaup, 2 pintails, 1 black or mottled duck (season closed until November 19), 1 canvasback, or 1 fulvous whistling duck. The season on harlequin ducks is closed. (Possession limits are twice the daily bag limit unless otherwise noted.)

b) Other limits:

•25 light geese (includes snow, blue and Ross’ geese), no possession limit
•2 brant
•5 mergansers (2 hooded mergansers)
•7 sea ducks (in special sea duck area only). In other areas, sea ducks are part of the regular duck bag limit. No more than 4 scoters per day may be taken in either season.
•15 coots
•5 dark geese (includes Canada geese & white-fronted geese) in the Resident Hunt Zone, 5 in the Southern James Bay Zone and 1 in the Northeast Hunt Zone.

HOURS: One-half hour before sunrise to sunset.

Ducks, Mergansers and Coots
October 5-8,
November 12 – December 3 and
December 17 -– January 28 [Black and mottled ducks closed until Nov. 19]

Sea Ducks (in special sea duck area only)
October 1 – January 31

Dark Geese (includes Canada geese and white-fronted geese) To view a map of the goose hunt zones, refer to the Regulations Digest or www.ncwildlife.org.

Resident Population Hunt Zone: Oct. 5-15, Nov. 12 – Dec. 3 and Dec. 17 – Feb. 4

Southern James Bay Hunt Zone (Gaddy Goose refuge closed after Sept. 30): Oct. 5 – Nov. 4 and Nov. 12 – Dec. 31.

Northeast Hunt Zone: Jan. 21 – Jan. 28 (by permit only)

Light Geese (includes snow and blue geese, and Ross’ geese)
October 19 – October 22
November 12 – March 10

Electronic calls and unplugged guns are allowed from February 6 – March 10.

Brant
November 19 – December 3 and December 17 – January 28

Tundra Swan
November 12 - January 31
(1 per season by permit only – 5,000 will be issued)

Youth Waterfowl Days (includes ducks, geese, brant, mergansers, coots and tundra swans.) The youth must have a valid permit to harvest a tundra swan or a Canada goose (NE Hunt Zone only).
December 10 and February 4
Youth must be 15 years of age or younger and accompanied by a properly licensed adult. The adult cannot duck hunt but may participate in other seasons that are open on the special youth day.

www.nc-taxidermist.com
Old 09-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Default Novice in need of guidance

I am looking to start waterfowling, and do not even know where to start. E-mailed Western Wake DU and waiting for response. Can you pointmeinthe right direction, or if anyone needs a hunting buddy it would begreatly appreciated.

Deerslayer
Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Administrator

deerslayer - Unlike deer hunting, waterfowl is limited in that you have less area to hunt. Swamps, lakes, ponds...thats about it. Since you are in Apex, you should check out the gamelands on Jordan and Harris. I used to walk in to some spots on Jordan and was getting a few shots. The walks were sometimes as much as a mile. If you have a boat and are capable, try going in at the ramps. Personally, when I hunted the lake, I would find points or fingers that stuck out into the lake. Put some dec's just past the point and hunt from the land. I got a few ducks that way. If you have the time and energy, you could work your way back into the swampy areas of the lakes. A little trial and error will help out, as well as a lot of scouting.
Lastly, make sure your wingshooting skills are up to par. You'd hate to put in all that work and miss some easy shots because you didn't practice.

Johnnie

www.nc-taxidermist.com
Old 10-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Administrator

deerslayer, have you had a chance to get out yet? If so, how'd it go?

www.nc-taxidermist.com